Introduction to Literary Studies I
This is a compulsory first year module that introduces students to beginning literary criticism through a range of primary texts.
Who takes it?
Students enrolled on BA (Hons) English, BA (Hons) English with Creative Writing, BA (Hons) Creative Writing.
Lectures that I give include:
- Text and Context: What is Literary Studies? ...what is it for and how do we do it?
- Influence and Intertextuality: Dante, Seamus Heaney, Ciaran Carson.
- William Morris: Sentimental Socialist or Radical Revolutionary
- Politics of Place in As You Like It: 3 ways of reading a forest
- Hidden in Plain Sight: Psychoanalysis and Literary Studies
- I also deliver a first year lecture on Good Academic Practice